Get the answers to these questions in this week’s lesson plan!
LESSON PLAN: Dawn Chorus
Listening to birds is a fascinating way to learn about animal communication. Noisy Bird Sing-Along introduces students to the sounds of 12 common birds. In this activity, students imitate the sounds of the birds as you “conduct” them in a “dawn chorus”—after listening to recordings of actual birds!
You may follow the directions below, or download a PDF of the lesson, which includes two handouts.
Next Generation Science Standards (DCI K-3)
Suggested Grade Level: K-3
- The book Noisy Bird Sing-Along
- Handout: “About the birds in this book,” included in PDF
- Handout: “Bird Sounds,” one copy to post or write on the board, included in PDF
- Overhead projector or white board
- Computer access to play the online sounds of actual birds from the Dawn Publications website
Cut apart the handout so that each bird is on a separate slip of paper
Note: This activity is adapted from Bird Sleuth’s Feathered Friends Activities, a collection of monthly lessons about birds. You can download an entire year of activities!
Take advantage of the free information and resources at BirdSleuth K-12.