Come along on a safari!
In Over in the Grasslands: On an African Savanna you’ll find elephants that squirt, giraffes that slurp, hornbills that toot, and seven more fascinating animals and their babies. Not to mention a”hidden” animal on each page.
Africa’s savanna is home to a delightful diversity of critters!
This is the eighth book in Marianne Berkes’ series based on the traditional song “Over in the Meadow.” And like her previous books, Over in the Grasslands can be used to teach content across the curriculum:
- learn the characteristics of animals that live in the unique savanna habitat (science)
- hear and say rhyming words (reading nonfiction)
- move like African animals (drama)
- sing about the animals (music)
- practice counting, addition, and subtraction (math).
Choose one of these standards-based lessons:
- Grassland Animal Actions – Using Over in the Grasslands bookmarks, children match pictures of animals with one of their actions.
- Grassland Animal Descriptions – Children match an animal with its one-word description.
- Animal Memory Game – Children use two sets of counting cards to play a memory game.
Or download a set of Bookmarks or a deck of Counting Cards to create your own activity.